Poker is fun and easy to play! Here are some handy tips to get you ready for your big night. Don't worry if you don't remember them all. The Gaming Nites team are happy to answer questions and help players throughout the event.
- Poker is a game of your best five cards.
- The art to mastering poker is to learn the hand rankings. For example, a royal flush beats a straight flush but four of a kind beats a flush. For more information view the order of hands guide.
- A hand begins with the two players to the left of the dealer button posting their blinds. The dealer then deals each player one card face down, followed by a second card also face down. These two secret cards (known as hole cards) remain the private property of the respective player for the duration of the hand.
- There are four rounds of betting. Once the players have received their two secret hole cards, the first round of betting begins. Each player makes a betting decision according to the strength of their hand.
- Once all the players have decided whether or not to remain in the hand, and the betting has been matched for the round, three more cards are laid face up on the table by the dealer. These three cards are known as the flop. They are community cards which are used by everyone to determine the strength of their hand. There is now a second round of betting.
- After this round of betting has been completed, a fourth community card is dealt. This card is known as the turn. The third round of betting now takes place.
- The fifth and final community card to be dealt is called the river. The fourth and final round of betting now takes place.
- The remaining players reveal their cards to determine winner of the hand.